These are a few of my favorite things
What an interesting combination of books to be placed together! I thought this shot provided a profile of me most days. I mean, cooking, wine, and theology --great stuff!! And... all together in one place!
The other day while walking around Nashville, I was trying to figure out what common thread held all of these things together for me. What's the common interest? There was an obvious one: Yum! Food and Wine - Tasty! Theology - um, Tasty? Oh yeah - "Taste and see that the LORD is good" Psalm 34:8 haha...
But what really causes my attentions to turn towards these three things is something a bit less obvious: Discernment.
- In cooking, you have to discern what flavors go together, how long to cook things, what complements what, how to spice, etc.
- With wine, it is important to discern the subtleties of your vino... hints of cherry, cinnamon, oak, tannins, citrus, butter, apple (Everything but grape, it seems)
- In theology, the study of God, it is important to discern WHO God is and who He is not.
One of the main challenges of those investigating the Christian faith is to effectively discern what is accurate and inaccurate about God. I think this can only be done with God enlightening us to scripture and His truth. Albeit, the weight of culture and society tends to drag down our understanding of God by flavoring our perceptions of Him. In effect, sometimes we tell God "who we think He SHOULD be or what He should be like". Our churches are quite challenged in this way, as well. How do we discern who God is and is not in a world of competing gods?


14 Comments:
"sometimes we tell God 'who we think He SHOULD be....'" In no venue is this more true than that of politics. Especially Republican politicians (I consider myself an independent-minded Republican) have seemingly hijacked Christianity for their own purposes (getting votes). The worst to me is when pastors or churches become blatantly political or when politicians start arguing with each other over who is the MOST Christian. How is that being a Christian at all?While there is merit to the idea that the Christian lifestyle is under attack, I find the hypocrisy in the use of the religion by politicians to be hurtful to the message.
I am not saying people shouldn't be open about and share their faith in the political world. But I am saying it should be genuine and if they are going to use it as a political crutch and "talk the talk", then they should be prepared to "walk the walk".
WWJD-- know what I mean? I could go on and on for the length of a short book on this. So I will stop here.
Hi Emery,
This is cheeky, but there is no comma in the photo. It reads "cooking wine . . . theology" so obviously it's Pat Robertson type theology and hence akin to cooking wine. Blah.
Now if it has said something like "Pinot Noir. . . Theology" that would be great!
Consider if you will the sensuality of communion. A good red wine at room temperature has a full body and character that can put us in mind of exactly what it is to represent. God did this stuff for a reason - frankly, Welch's doesn't get it.
Off the cuff and out of kilter as usual,
Tucker
That really is a great picture....and i'm really thinking the cooking and wine are seperate things because they are in all CAPS and because i can't imagine a whole shelf of books JUST about cooking wine....??? I guess it's like theology....subject to interpretation.
The great thing about God is that no matter who we discern Him to be at any given moment...He's unwavering and totally unaffected by our ability to discern Him or not. It's got to be alot like living with a bunch of 6-yr.-olds most of the time for Him.
pam
Hi Emery
I would have to agree with Tucker..."cooking wine"? Cooking with wine, I understand and I definitely understand (and enjoy) drinking wine:)but why spoil the wine by cooking it unless you are making mulled wine.
Feel desperate need to have a glass of Pinot Noir, just don't tell anyone at my 'teatotalling' campus!
I think I am being led astray? Oh, that's right already there!
Natasha
OH...glad to see you went all out on your profile. ;)
Hey Emery
Your profile is fascinating but I had already worked out you are male ;)
Hey All - Thanks for the comments... some good thoughts there.
Jennifer- I totally agree with what you have to say re: the secularization of the faith (IE, aligning a political party with a religious faith the somehow forgetting the faith and practice of the Christian message). You, of course, have a really good perspective on that! Thanks!
Tucker - good form! ;-) Thanks for the comment!
Pam - I think that if we were (relatively) as advanced as six-year-olds, we'd be in a much better place. You're right to chime in about the unchangeable nature of God. How is it so hard for us to miss an unmoving target? Hmmm... could it be because we are the ones changing?
Natasha - led astray? Perish the thought! ;-)
Earnest Cow Chick and Pam - I'll work on that profile asap! haha!
On the topic of discernment of who God is and is not... I think one of the most critical things in my life that leads me to a better (still dark) understanding of Him was is change. Moving to New Zealand was critical in my life. Once I was out of the familiar culture that I grew up in, I started questioning a lot more. It seems that the times of biggest change were when I honestly questioned my foundations to make sure they would last. In those times, I saw a bit of how little I knew Him truly... and how much I had just made Him out to be what I wanted Him to be. Scary foundation! Having my foundation often-times be little-more than a mental fabrication is as akin to idolatry as you can get. Yikes!
You crack me up! I think that's the LONGEST About Me I've ever seen!!! hahaha!!! I love that.
Good job on the profile.
grace
you rock like a late easter bunny with twice the candy.... it's cool
I'm liking the blog. Your cooking/wine/theology blog is such a typical rich conversation starter for you. Well done. I'm always encouraged and challenged by the way you strive to see beyond the obvious to recognize the more challenging subtleties that underly so much of our lives.
Cowboytut
Sorry that I missed you while visiting Chattanooga. I have heard a great many groovy thing about you. Your blog shows a lot of promise. I look forward to reading more :O)
Pam - I do what I can! I actually copied/pasted that "About me" from a previous writing. hehe!
Brian - twice the candy for you always!
Tut - Good to hear from you - check back here and again, and join in the discussion!
Sarah - I am sorry that we missed each other in Chattanooga, as well. stink! We will connect at some point in time! :-)
Cooking, wine and theology ALWAYS go together in New Zealand!!
GO the Hard to Find Bookstore!!
Post a Comment
<< Home