Measuring sticks
I’ve recently been using this goody while selecting cabinetry, flooring, windows, and other odds-and-ends for a house in Chattanooga that’s being fixed up to rent out.
The tape measure is bright orange, which is probably the reason it was placed on the discount table at ACE Hardware. Sometimes I wear it on my belt, which makes me a real carpenter, or something, huh? I can measure anything! With shoes on, I’m a whopping 5’11”, I discovered the other day while measuring myself.
In a similar vein, there's another tape-measure in my mind that I use to measure things. If you spend anytime with me, you’ll quickly see that I have a critical eye. I critique almost everything, and I think the ability to have a thoughtful opinion on life can be great. But...
The error is when I respond to measurements of others in a negative manner and gossip, put them down, or just plain think negatively about them. As a friend rightly said, this is mainly because I want to feel better about myself. Added to that, where is my hope that God is lovingly crafting others’ lives in the same way I know/see/feel Him working in my own?
Clearly, I have a first-hand view of how crap, crap, and crap I am in SOOO many ways. I enjoy God’s grace in the midst of this, and appreciate His refining in my own life. I guess much of the answer to my quandry is that I need to learn to enjoy God's grace as it is applied to other people. Oh, and maybe be patient??? ...but that's for another post. ;-)


11 Comments:
Emery,
Ouch, ouch, and double triple OUCH! You are not only stepping on my toes here but you have obviously found my wiring protocol on the Matrix and tapped into my daily thoughts. I knew that little spot on the back of my neck was feeling a little itchy. This is a major area of weakness for me as I venture through my day passing judgement (with a smile and kind word) on all I survey, oft times sharing my observations with my "inner circle" of cohorts in crime. I'm shameless and ugly at times. Lord have mercy on me.
pam
Em,
Might I just first say that I am outright disappointed that you did not take a picture of YOURSELF modeling the bright orange 99-cent tape measure (shoes included, please).
And, yes, I feel that recently I have become more and more aware of the dangers of carrying around my own yardstick of judgement, and just how quickly I am apt to pass it on to others. Thank Him for grace, and for the Holy Spirit, without whom we might not even be able to recognize this sinful pitfall. One of the things that I am reminded of from this past Sunday's sermon is viewing others in light of their being image-bearers of God.
This post reminds me of our sermon a couple of Sundays ago. It was something to the effect of holding a desire in your own heart for others to know The Good News. If you make that desire a part of yourself, then the evangelism comes naturally. People will be drawn to you. People will be able to see Christ in you. That's a lot coming from a Methodist sermon-- huh? :-)
you crack me up emery. peace.brian
Thanks for the comments!
Pam - yeah, we do it with a smile and kind word. Scary, huh?
Sarah - Holy Spirit is critical... yep. And, it is great to know that we have the freedom to confess and actually be free from our sin. As for my supermodel tape-measure pose: I'll work on that.
Jennifer - you can learn from the Methodists, even! hehe! You are right about our need to embody/live the Gospel. I mean, hello, we're supposed to be lights. Is the electricity on? ;-)
Brian - I will let you borrow my tape measure if you'd like. You are special!
When I was in my late teens I had a saying that I would use to describe other people who did not fit my bill of perfection. I would normally say, "People are so Stupid." What I later came to understand, after much wall hitting, was that I was also "People" and prone to episodes of foolishness. Now I find it very hard to stand by and listen to anyone talk about how stupid someone else is. I too, have presented myself as a big pile of crap on many an occasion. Praise be to the Father for His great mercy. Love you EJ.
Em, I think you've just put into words how many of us see/think/do/react to the same things as you do. It makes us who we truly are and that's 'human'. I'm so thankful that we have a loving Heavenly Father who knows us as we truly are and still desires to love us, hone us and teach us many things. I think you're doing just great:)
Jason - you are so right about that...we are all "people" and prone to fits of foolishness. ;-) Thanks for sharing! Love you too.
Trudes - yep, we surely have a lot to be grateful for... it's amazing, really. Thanks for sharing!
You know the old saying...
If you can't think of something nice to say,
...
...
Come sit by me.
Anyhoo, I think you're being too hard on yourself, dude.
oh, sorry. I'm not anonymous, I'm stephanie. (I hit the wrong button.)
Hey anonymous... uh, I mean Stephanie!
I'm not down on myself; don't worry. ;-) I take a physician-like perspective on this, similar to saying, "Wow, I sure do have an amputated leg there. It sucks and is not so great. Now, what do I do from here?"
But, you know I'll come sit by you anytime. Go the Brewer porch!!! We REALLY REALLY need to do steaks some evening. I keep wanting to but don't follow-through... and I'm still craving steak!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home