Seeing Scarlet
A
Vow made, not kept,
I said forever, but you meant it,
Pursued a fraud.
Eyes scarcely adored,
Not half as much as yours,
I beheld treasure, you, clay.
Heart had wandered,
Sought through incessant pain,
Gave life to my death.
Hand bore your ring of promise
Youngest adulterer ever been,
When born, fled my love.
Chest held this badge,
My harlot token,
Its power, You denied.
Vow made, not kept,
I said forever, but you meant it,
Pursued a fraud.
Eyes scarcely adored,
Not half as much as yours,
I beheld treasure, you, clay.
Heart had wandered,
Sought through incessant pain,
Gave life to my death.
Hand bore your ring of promise
Youngest adulterer ever been,
When born, fled my love.
Chest held this badge,
My harlot token,
Its power, You denied.


4 Comments:
Interesting. So I'm trying to figure this one out. Let me know if I'm right. Is it about you? Said forever, God meant it you didn't and he pursued you the fraud. When the adulteration was born your love fled from God to the world. You holding the harlot token, you the adulterer? K..feeling good about this one...lemme know quick!!!!
Ashlee - you're the best! Well, I have been thinking about our adulterous relationship with God. How He pursues us and we basically "sleep around" with the world, finding idols and other loves... and weaving in The Scarlet Letter - the A... that's our figurative token; He denies it's power to ruin us by choosing to love us in spite of who we are.
I am really enjoying getting to know God as the redeemer of the harlot... and how this is such an amazing love! If we could only partially-grasp this concept. In our society, you divorce the adulterous... and He justly could leave us, but He doesn't. We could learn something from Him about reaching beyond justice to mercy.
EM: You have an amazing way with words. I've only today read your BLOG for the first time...was curious as to who you are...a friend of Sarah's, that much I know! And a very passionate thinker and writer! I loved reading the poem, and the comments.
Angela: Thanks for the comment - I came home the other evening and was thinking about this stuff. I wanted to blog about it, but then my blog turned into a poem instead of neat paragraphs.
Post a Comment
<< Home