Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Angelic Sunrise

I took a new route on my daily commute to work this morning. At 6:30 a.m., as I was driving past a cemetery, I looked to my right to see a nice sunrise and an angel memorial. Being one who likes sunrises and cemeteries (don't ask, I just do!)...

I veered off my commute path onto the cross-street, parked the car, and ran into the cemetery to take a picture. I can imagine the other commuters' surprise to see this funny incident.

Anyway, here is one of the resulting photos!

15 Comments:

Blogger wn said...

Em, we have similar driving habits. Thanks for stopping, this is a good shot. Cemetaries are places of promise in many ways, assuming the promises of God in Christ. Our bodies being still united to Christ remain in the grave for a time until the resurrection - at which time there will be many angels I would imagine.

6:59 AM  
Blogger wn said...

By the way, how many Sarah's do you know man! Your "Friends' Blogs" is filled with Sarahs. I guess you have a few letters left before you have to start using the first two letters of their last names. :-)

7:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Em,
A beautiful picture, indeed! We share a similar love for cemetaries. I remember spending nearly five hours in the Protestant Cemetary in Rome last summer. While others think it a morbid fascination, cemetaries do remind us that our days our numbered (and that we should live each day for His glory!) and that all the saints will one day be united in the new creation!

And, might I add that I am pleased to be the first Sarah on your blog list. ;)

7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clearly this company is paying you too much and you have too little to do! Why didn't we go into the cemeteries in New Orleans last time we were there if you love them so much? Oh yeah, because we would have been robbed or murdered :)

8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no problem with your morbid fascination for cemetaries!ha! (j/k, you know that)
But...let me turn our attention for a moment to the sunrise. God's assurance to us...EVERY SINGLE DAY...that RESURRECTION, newness of life, the dispelling power of light over dark....He's given us visual clues to what is coming for us. Glory!

8:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful picture-- where did you take it?
I have spent a lot of time at cemetaries and at funerals. I think how your funeral goes down-- who comes, what is said-- says a lot about who you were as a person on this earth. I often think about what I want my last statement on this earth to be. What songs do I want sung? How will people remember my life? Do I want my grave to say the standard "Beloved Wife, mother, daughter", or something more colorful and interesting like "It was good while it lasted." or "I lived a full life and have now moved on to a great eternity." ??? Some people think I'm morbid for already making funeral plans in my 20's, but when you average about 2 funerals a year in your life (I have a big, old family and lots of family friends), it's something you think about.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Will said...

Me, I just take pictures of snakes I might see on the side of the road. I guess that makes me weird! Or, itmakes me the Zoo Guy! :P

10:13 AM  
Blogger Veronica said...

It is a great picture. Jennifer, I also think of my funeral plans. The only thing I know for sure is that in place of a headstone, I'd like a stone bench or seat (I have yet to think of the inscription).

10:28 AM  
Blogger aglen said...

Brother, I love cemeteries too. Do you remember when we'd drive by the cemetery near Adair and try to hold our breaths as we passed? Every time we pass them, Em and Tyne always say, there are the dead people mom! I used to be afraid of them. But shortly after marriage, I went to two funerals back to back and saw how healthy the whole process is. Seeing our frailty is necessary for an accurate perspective of ourselves and God. Now I'm excited for the spring to be able to take the littles to visit the cemeteries and talk about life and death.
Love you

2:56 PM  
Blogger em said...

Will N - I contemplated stopping or hitting more traffic by waiting a bit longer. My photo-lust got the better of me! I know only one other Sarah... but she doesn't have a blog. ;-)

Sarah V - I am the same way. When I went to Ireland last year, I spent the vast majority of my time wandering through cemeteries. I'll have to post some of those pictures soon. Amazing! Congratulations on "first Sarah status!" You win!!!

Anonymous (LF) - You know I'm overpaid, but what is new? For some reason, I just don't enjoy N.O. cemeteries much... the crypts and mausoleums make them feel really crowded. Oh yeah, also the muggers!

Pam - yep! Also, sunrises are a reminder of His renewed mercies every day. Amazing...

Jennifer - I know you won't believe this, but I took the picture at the cemetery off of Cullen Blvd. You sure ARE morbid... kidding! hehe

Willio - It makes you the SNAKE MAN!!! Hissss.....

Veronica - When you die a young death in a blaze of glory, I will come and sit on the bench that is on your grave and ponder how you should have donated your body to Body Worlds VII! ;-)

Ashlee - I know you're going to think I'm whacked, but I held my breath that morning while passing the exact same cemetery that we passed as children! Am I psychotic? Anyway, the main reason I saw the sunrise and the angel is because I was getting a bit out-of-breath and was watching for the end of the cemetery. I'm not joking; that is the most disturbing part. haha! Go the littles at the cemetery. Did I tell you that I live literally eight-ish blocks from a cemetery in Chattanooga? It's a pretty cool one, and I am eagerly awaiting for the trees to go green so I can spend some time reflecting among the tombstones in the grass!

6:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emery you ARE a weirdo who takes pictures of wierd things, and DOESNT put the best sarah first!

11:43 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

You liar! You hate sunrises! All vampires do. You know at that time you were probably haulin' ass to get back in your coffin!

Love Cemetary + Love Sunrise = Daywalker

8:14 AM  
Blogger Rachel V said...

Em, this looks like a professional photo - really nice!

10:25 AM  
Blogger em said...

Sez: Thanks! ;-) I do my best! hehe

Robert: Correction. I took the picture from the comfort of my coffin. I was in a cemetery, remember?

Rachel: Thanks! I appreciate the compliment.

4:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home