The day after my birthday
On December 8th, 2005, a Southwest Airlines flight landed on the icy runway of Chicago Midway Airport and slid out of the airport property into traffic.
I was in the next plane to take off. We were just about to leave for the warmer winter of Tennessee. The pilot approached the runway shortly after our de-icing when suddenly the loud speaker boomed, “Passengers, we are sorry to inform you that a plane has slipped on the runway so the airport is shutting down!” You didn’t have to imagine the passengers’ anger; you could hear it for the next ten minutes.
Our plane taxied back to the gate, and we had to get off until the airport reopened the following morning. Some co-workers and I spent the next couple of hours catching the train into downtown Chicago then hiking for miles in the salted snowy slush in search of a hotel that had rooms available for our newly-stranded-selves. There were no taxis to be found due to the other passengers grabbing them before us. We finally found rooms at the pricier, yet accommodating, Intercontinental Hotel, just north of the river. This is just the prelude to the real story!
I looked down, and my shoes had been RUINED by all the salty slush that we were made to wade through on our adventure.
You know me... I washed, polished, and scrimped to make them last.... Now I'm at a new job, though, and my rugged shoes look far too ridiculous to continue wearing into the office. I've even received derogatory comments about my shoddy shoes.
No longer!!! Tonight, I have been liberated from the woes of falling-apart-shoes! Join me in celebration!!

All this happiness for only $59!
I was in the next plane to take off. We were just about to leave for the warmer winter of Tennessee. The pilot approached the runway shortly after our de-icing when suddenly the loud speaker boomed, “Passengers, we are sorry to inform you that a plane has slipped on the runway so the airport is shutting down!” You didn’t have to imagine the passengers’ anger; you could hear it for the next ten minutes.
Our plane taxied back to the gate, and we had to get off until the airport reopened the following morning. Some co-workers and I spent the next couple of hours catching the train into downtown Chicago then hiking for miles in the salted snowy slush in search of a hotel that had rooms available for our newly-stranded-selves. There were no taxis to be found due to the other passengers grabbing them before us. We finally found rooms at the pricier, yet accommodating, Intercontinental Hotel, just north of the river. This is just the prelude to the real story!
I looked down, and my shoes had been RUINED by all the salty slush that we were made to wade through on our adventure.
You know me... I washed, polished, and scrimped to make them last.... Now I'm at a new job, though, and my rugged shoes look far too ridiculous to continue wearing into the office. I've even received derogatory comments about my shoddy shoes.
No longer!!! Tonight, I have been liberated from the woes of falling-apart-shoes! Join me in celebration!!

All this happiness for only $59!


12 Comments:
Tino ataahua o hu!!
pretty!
Oh, the joy a new pair of shoes can bring...especially at a great price! ; ) Don't you look spiffy!
Yay! And $59 is great!
They look about my size...can I borrow them sometime? ;)
Hey, Cheater, those look just like my sketchers! Haha, you can't have shoes like me!
Yeah, give me a call tonight, I have some "interesting" things about work I can talk to you about.
I ruined my favorite shoes and only pair of Cole Haan's I've ever owned trudging across the wet and muddy "plain" at West Point my senior year in college. I've never been the same since. That darn Mike Helton!! :-p
Nice shoes, btw-- maybe you could give Ethan some pointers! :-)
Where did you take that pic? I can't figure it out...
hooray for your new shoes!
Sez: kia ora! Ko te tino pai anake e hiahiatia ana e au! hehe! :)
Veronica: I try to look as spiffy as possible on a meager budget. hehe! They are really comfortable, too.
Sarah V: They're a *little* too big for you, but sure, you can borrow them whenever. haha!
Willio: They do not look just like your Skechers. They do look quite similar to my old pair of shoes, though. I quite prefer the Euro-styles of dark leather shoes with everything... except those crazy Italians have some lighter leather... I almost bought a pair of those last night, as well.
Jennifer: Mike was good-for-nothing... clearly, just another example. Kidding! hehe! I'll have to plan a trip up to go shopping with Ethan. I get a big kick out of getting deals while shopping. It's the best part!
Ashlee: You will laugh! I was sitting on mom's couch with my feet up in the air when I took this picture. ;-) Hilarious, huh?
Jennifer:
Notice that you are the only one on here without a blog? Hmmm??? I think you have a ton to share with folks if you ever decide to get one. :-) Just thought I'd chime in on that! hehe!
This cracks me up. You need to come see us again soon....wearing the new shoes...since this was the ONLY thing that didn't reconcile (remember) for me about you when we met. Those old shoes had been shabby long before you made that trek through the salty slush! ;)
The new shoes are sure to score you bonus points with Drew since he's a "shoe man" like his "dad" Todd!
Have you ever considered possibly purchasing a SECOND pair (gasp!) of shoes???
:)
pam
Forget the shoes, I'm excited about the cool socks you're wearing!!!!
Love the new shoes Emer, you can never go wrong with new shoes at a great price.
Pam: You crazy! Two pair of shoes? You've got to be kidding... hehe
Sember: You are actually so right on that one! The socks are these cheap cheap COMFORTABLE socks that I found the other day. They are great!
Amy: Thanks - You must know how I value your approval of my wardrobe, so I'll start posting more and more of my clothes for your sign-off. hehe!
Post a Comment
<< Home