In gods we trust...
I see one common trait in every person I've ever met. We all worship something as our god.
I believe in one God, the father of Jesus Christ, and I subscribe to the Christian faith. I also believe that this one God, because He is so great, deserves all of my worship and affection. Now, does he RECEIVE all my worship and affection?? That's another question! The problem is that there are a few other "gods" I serve in a normal day. Now, what does this mean? Do I serve this kind of god?

Well, perhaps... or, those are just some goofy pictures I took in Hawaii.
One way I'd categorically speak of the other "gods" in my life is by saying that these things consume my affections and worship that I would prefer to give to the one true God.
These other gods can be things like: status, relationships, cars, recognition, jobs, houses, or tons of other things. Friends and family can even be gods in my life.
In my mind, the question arises, "Can I love one God while liking these things and really enjoying them?"
I think that is perfectly possible. In fact, that is one of the ways I see creation all tying together. Whenever I truly appreciate things that I have a tendency to idolize, I want to thank God for His provision, instead of bowing down before the provision itself.
Along the lines of "little g" gods, what kinds of things do you think our society worships or idolizes? What has caught our affections?


12 Comments:
I believe the idolization of our children is a major issue in our society. Reminds me of the old saying, "The tail is wagging the dog." Yes, our children are precious gifts from GOD...but we've (many times) turned them into little "gods" to serve. I could go on but it's time to leave for work. I'll check in later!
pam
Good point, Pam. It's interesting what is culturally "appropriate" to worship/idolize and what's not. Another thing I kind of thought about is just plain laziness. Now, I can enjoy a good day of doing not-a-lot, but how easy would it be to just kind of fester there? I guess my gods don't have to be "actively sought out"
I could comment but really who could pass up a jab at those corney hawaii photos! How did you ever know they'd come in handy for this? God is providential.
I believe that even more than money or possesions, I worship approval from men (and I mean men AND women, of course...not just men, haha...). I have realized so much, especially lately, I think, how much of my actions and attitudes are motivated by the fear of man (which, really, IS the worship of esteem, or praise). I step back and realize how much of my thinking is expelled with whether "so and so" is pleased with me, likes me, thinks highly of me, etc., and rarely reflect the same thoughts towards my Master. Thank you, Lord, that you love us in spite of these idols...
BTW, Em, I simply MUST have copies of these photos.
The love that I have for my children is immeasurable - I thank God every day for having them in my life (even when they're at their worst ☺). I do serve my children. And by serving, I mean giving them the love, time, discipline, and care they so need to become productive members of society who in turn know and love God. My question to your question is, in serving my children, am I not indirectly serving God? I need to think about this further; thanks for the great question Emerson!
By the way, when I first started thinking about the answer to your question I was looking out the window; now you have me looking in the mirror.
♥
Sarah,
I, too, have allowed my need for approval from others (especially my parents and inlaws) to control more of the decisions in my life than I would like. I have thought many many many times about how much happier and "freer" I would be if I only sought or thought about the approval of God. Following my parents' wishes has not failed me, in that I know they wish what is best for me, but WHAT IS MY PURPOSE THROUGH CHRIST? I desire the freedom that comes from letting go of all these idols. I pray for the strength to let go.
As a parent now myself, I hope to do better than my parents in promoting "God's will" for the lives of my children rather than "My will". Children are a gift. And, at least in Methodism, we promise them to God when they are very young and take on the responsibility to raise them and do all we can to lead them to God. In that sense we are serving God, but perhaps Pam means people who overindulge their children?
All of these comments are terrific...I'm blessed by reading your thoughts. Excellent posed questions, EM.
I so totally relate to you, Veronica...I'm a "killer bee" when it comes to my children. I adore them, support them, give my "blood, sweat and tears" for them, and would go to the ends of the earth for them...and they are all adults now, and I still hold those passionate desires and feelings! I suppose this kind of love could become idolatry if not directed properly and if not prayerfully subjected to His purposes.
Another "idol" that is so prevalent today is the human body. To "pump it up" or to "couch it down"..."to feed or not to feed"..."to reveal or not to reveal"...to "bicep" or to "flab"...those are the questions! While I wholeheartedly embrace healthy fitness, I find myself sucked into the all too prevalent "beautiful body image" that truly consumes Americans today. And what's funny is...I'm a middle-aged (I consider middle age 50 and above, mind you) mother of adult children...not a 25 year-old lovely!!!
Jennifer,
Yes...I was talking about the over-indulgent sort of parents. Working in public education I see it SO much. Which I guess is why it quickly came to mind. I didn't have time to elaborate at the time of my first comment. I know of parents who serve their children to the point of over-looking the entire family's need for spiritual food...planning and participating in all sorts of youth activities from sports events to parties to outings and on and on...an endless string of activity to appease the child. If church is not "fun" or certain friends don't attend, they cave in to the child's whims, never taking a stand on important decisions but allowing the child to determine his/her own course. This may sound extreme but it's not. It happens all the time.
I totally agree with the other commentors that parenting is humbling work and we must put our own desires and wishes second to the well-being of the children. That's not idolatry, that's servanthood and is Biblical and Christ-like. But when the whims and folly of the child take precedence over sound reason and judgment, our servanthood quickly turns into enslavement. A very different thing.
I'm pretty sure we're actually all on the same page with this one! :)
pam
Good thoughts here! I really appreciate it when some good conversation gets going. It really makes me think. I was sharing today with a friend how some of the conversation re: the needy encouraged me to respond quite differently to some folks today I met on the street. Good stuff. As for this post...
Kayb - I am glad to provide an outlet for your "Kayb giggle" As Karla says, "Yuck it up, Chuckles!" Yes, God IS providential! hehe!
Sarah - You're totally right on that whole approval thing and desires that simply aren't based in anything worthwhile. As for copies of these photos... um... we'll see. haha! I actually have a friend in Dallas who has them printed out and framed in their office (along with a number of other pictures, of course!)
Beroquina (aka Veronica) - I think what you're speaking of is a super great act of worship TO God when the ends of your means are to serve God... which sounds like you're thinking that way to me. That's a really good point!
Jennifer - Your quote: "praying for the strength to let go" As I've been thinking about this topic, I keep repeating, "I can't do this well at all on my own"... so you are right in understanding that our help comes from God alone! Otherwise, I'd be sca-rew-ed!!!
Angela - I think we all resonate with your comment about the "idol of the temple" (speaking metaphorically, of course!) That is definitely one of the main areas in which our struggle crosses age, gender, socio-economic, and geographical boundaries. Talk about pervasive idolatry! When I was in Rio de Janeiro , they referred to it as "the god of the body". Scary!
Pam - And, as usual, you have a great summation of this whole "parenting" thing. Which, considering that I am not a parent, it is great to have your sage words! ;-) Thanks!!!
Em dog,
You know I have "ish" with the whole organized religion thing, so I'm not sure that I'm qualified to sound off on this particular topic...
but, I do remember reading somewhere that "God is love." That makes it super-simple the way I see it.
So I don't know you, and just came about this blog randomly. Still I feel inclined to chime in. I guess, my thoughts start with the supposition that if I had been born in China, then I'd think the "one true" God was whoever the people there worship, in the middle east, etc. But the notion that one's religious practice is any more true than any other seems to me, in light of those earlier suppositions, dubious at best. I was talking to a muslim dude at a bar once, and he said that islam teaches that there's one true god (just like christianity) and that, in reality we're all worshiping that same god, even if we have various religious practices (essentially culture) that lead us there.
To me, and I'm hardly religious, if there is some powerful life-force, then whatever portion of it that we have access to through religious study, faith, etc. is only the tiniest portion. I mean, if the universe is (almost) infinite, then how can some guy who wears a funny hat on sundays know anything substantial about it? I think we all just need to be a little more humble, and accept that there is something bigger -- however we interpret that. And strive to be better citizens of the world.
Stephanie! I know your "ish" - fair enough! ;-) I don't think the topic is "religious", necessarily. I'm just interested to see what folks think we worship in our society. As for God being love... that really does have a lot to do with this, in that, I guess if we look at our "gods", we'll find that the things that are least-beneficial are the things that we can not relate-to... (IE things, as opposed to beings)
Diego - Thanks for your comments. I'm appreciative for your feedback on this stuff. I'd disagree with your premise on culture determining God; I'd take the counter-point that God determines Himself. Culture often-times points towards "a god", but that does not make that "god" a viable source of godliness. I hear what you're saying, though, I think. In fact, I believe the American "Christian culture" can actually lead you to a God other than Jesus Christ, the God of scriptures.
I do agree that the universe is massive and we only know itty bitty pieces about it. Some of what we know, even, is only what we THINK we know. ;-) Yes, we do need to be more humble, and I would add that we need to, at the same time, fervently and honestly seek what truth is. I think that's a fair enough statement, and I'd prefer to spend time trying to decipher truth. It's a least a worthwhile attempt. Otherwise, we take a far-too-passive stance towards living that gets us only to where we are.
Post a Comment
<< Home