Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Playing Possum

I've never been much of one to play possum. I much prefer to deal with stuff head-on instead of run away and hide. The other day, though, I decided I might be more possum-like than I thought. Here's why...
(note: this is actually referring to an opossum, rather than a possum, which is an Australian distantly-related marsupial... for you zoology fiends)

The Setting:
Karla, Lori, and I were having a relaxing coffee/lunch at Rembrandt's Coffee House a couple of weeks back. After we sat there for a few minutes, I noticed an opossum crawling on the high iron fence. A few people in the patio stared and pointed, and then we returned to enjoying our drinks and snacks.

The Action:
We had almost forgotten that the opossum was lurking high up in the trees, and since we were finished, we proceeded to go back to the car. Just as we were leaving, two short little Mexican men went directly to the fence. One shimmied up the adjacent tree, on top of the fence, and rustled around until he found the baby opossum up there. He promptly slid down a pole and walked off with his partner in opossum-crime.

We are not the type to miss out on the action, so we quickly walked around to see what these guys were going to do with the little guy. They didn't speak much English, but I was able to spit out (in broken Spanish) "Can we please take a picture?" Our varmint-catcher kindly complied, and I snapped a beauty!

The Culprit
After seeing this face, I felt like I identify with an opossum much more than I previously thought.


It's been a stressful number of weeks! :-)

7 Comments:

Blogger karla said...

look at the way its arms are crossed! Almost like, "i give, i give...and...i'm done."

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay, you arent dead!!

11:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our dog, Scout, trees those things all the time. I think they are really scary and creepy and they hiss like evil. Ash, my first thought was that they were going to eat it. Gross, I know, but if it means one less opossum in the world, I'm okay with it!

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am mad at those guys! that was totally cruel of them.

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, I'm sorry about your opposum-like state in life right now; however, having spent time with you the other day I must say I think you are handling it well. By the way, L, little d and I were wondering when your movie is coming out (The Perfect Creature???). We are totally dying to see it. Drop a line...

8:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so is someone going to have to climb a tree and hold you by the neck in order for you to slow down??

4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Because Sarah and I can do that if we need to.

Poor possum. Oh the pain, the pain of it all....

7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home